Front Page: Traficom
Front Page: Traficom

Buying and using radio equipment

Today almost all home electronics involve remote control and wireless data transfer. Certain markings and documents that come with radio equipment indicate that the equipment meets the requirements set out for it. Remember to look for these markings when buying radio equipment.

If the information on the conformity is not available or correct, you should not buy the radio equipment.

When you are buying radio equipment, check the following

  • There is a CE marking on the equipment and the packaging.
  • The equipment comes with a manufacturer's EU declaration of conformity. It means that the manufacturer declares that the equipment meets the essential requirements.
  • The use of the equipment may be restricted in Finland. Check any restrictions on the packaging or manual or ask the seller.
  • If there are restrictions on using the equipment in Finland, check whether you need a radio licence, for example, or whether using the equipment in Finland is prohibited altogether.
  • It is important that your radio equipment operates on the correct frequency. Radio equipment operating on wrong frequencies can interfere with other radio communications, or your radio equipment can suffer from interference by other radio equipment.

Examples of equipment that you cannot use in Finland due to wrong frequency

  • 49 MHz and 72 MHz radio-controlled cars, drones and toys
  • 1.2 GHz wireless cameras
  • FRS (family radio service), GMRS (general mobile radio service)
  • Wireless DECT telephones intended for the US market

Operating frequencies of equipment for example

When you buy radio equipment from outside the EU, you are responsible for the equipment and any radio interference caused by it. Non-compliant devices that, for example, have excessive radiated power or operate on wrong frequencies may cause a risk of interference to other users of radio equipment. Some foreign online stores may sell models with excessive radiated power but importing, reselling and using such devices is prohibited in Finland. Traficom supervises the use of frequencies and investigates radio interference.

Read more about the markings required for radio equipment

You can use most radio equipment, such as WLAN, mobile phones, tablet computers and radio-controlled toys without a licence issued by Traficom.

You have to apply for a licence to use certain types of radio equipment, such as maritime VHF radiotelephones, VHF/UHF radiotelephones and FM radio transmitters. If the use of the equipment is restricted, this must be indicated on the packaging and manual. The seller must also inform the buyer if a licence is required.

Traficom charges an annual frequency fee for the licence. Licences are only issued to compliant equipment.

Software updates of radio equipment must not make them non-compliant with the applicable standards (e.g. increase their transmission power).

You need a licence for some radio equipment (External link)